Assessment 2.0 is referring to new assessments that will, in theory, be able to test our students ability to use higher level thinking than a simple test of knowledge on a multiple choice test. The article talks in length about how great assessment 2.0 is, but fails to explain how it will work. The article says it will put students into problem solving scenarios using computers and measure their cognitive abilities. However, I fail to see how an answer input into a computer can give any better knowledge of student achievement than an answer put into a bubble test. I think the only way to truly gauge a student's grasp of higher order thinking is through assessments that test their skills without using preset answers. Unfortunately, not every educator is infallible or grades in the same manner, making higher order skills nearly impossible to measure with any standardized test.
I believe core standards are needed to ensure all 50 states are teaching students the same skills at each grade level. The current system where each state can set it's own standards makes comparing student achievement between states being nearly impossible. It can also hurt any student who moves between states, resulting in a student that is over or under prepared for school in their new state.
I believe with the level of technology we currently possess that only standardized bubble tests can truly be both reliable and valid. I feel that computer technology is not to the point where it can determine a student's level of thinking and that educators/administrators may skew results to paint themselves in a positive light. I think the best solution at this time is to create national standards and better train educators. Educators and students must both be held more accountable for their actions. Where I am currently student teaching, teachers are required to give students at least a 60 on their report card, regardless of student achievement. Rather than passing unprepared students for the sake of making graduation rates higher or meeting AYP, schools must begin to hold back students who are not ready for the next grade. Educators must be held to higher standards, and unfit teachers should not be allowed to hide behind tenure or unions.
I agree with setting standards across all states. There is no measure between states at this point. I feel a more hands on approach to testing would make more sense. Students do a better job at proving they can perform the task rather than looking at a test paper/multiple choice. Since technology is not going away, we need to incorporate it into the testing. Simulations make more sense than paper and pencil tests. Just a thought.
ReplyDelete